Visiting the viewpoint on Mount Royal, the mountain Montreal derives its name from, is one of the most popular free activities in the city. Because this is more of a hike than a walk, we advise you to wear good footwear and be prepared for an uphill climb with plenty of stairs.
The Mont Royal belvedere lookout walk begins at Peel Metro station on the Green line and takes you on a 2 kilometre (one-way) walk and climb up to the Belvédère Kondiaronk viewpoint where you will see a spectacular view of downtown Montreal. Because this walk is uphill and has many stairs, the hike up can take as long as an hour, depending on your pace and level of fitness. We recommend allowing at least two hours for the round trip, more if you wish to explore some of the additional walking trails and paths throughout Mont Royal Park.
As you ascend the mountain via Olmsted Trail, between the trees, you'll catch glimpses of some beautiful hillside mansions on the street below.
This hike is spectacular in every season. With the brilliant fall colours eastern Canada is known for, Autumn is particularily beautiful. A clear winter day is lovely too, but you should wear winter boots with a good grip and be sure to dress appropriately for cold or inclement weather.
While you are at the lookout, check out Mount Royal Chalet. This elegant heritage building, built in 1931, features a stone facade with large windows. Inside you can grab a bite to eat or something to drink from the cafeteria while admiring the rustic heritage interior and large paintings depicting Montreal's history.
Visit our Parc du Mont-Royal page for more detailed information about the the entire park.
|Metro Line||Nearest Station||Walking Time|
|Line 1 - Green||Station Peel||9 Minutes to trailhead|
How to get to Mount Royal Lookout Walk by Metro
- Take Metro Line 1 to Peel Station; exit and walk (northwest) up Peel Street to the base of Mont-Royal.
- At the end of Peel Street look for the stairs directly across the road just to the left of the hospital entrance and start climbing them.
- Follow the path at the top of the stairs and climb the next flight of stairs with a hand rail.
- At this point you can continue straight using more flights of stairs or go right along Olmsted Trail. We recommend going right and following the switchbacks of the trail. This gives you a break from stair climbing and offers the most picturesque route. There are plenty more stairs to deal with closer to the top.
- Go right at the 'T' junction in the path and continue.
- Continue following the path until you come to a junction where there is a long multilevel staircase zig-zagging up the slope on your left and a multidirectional signpost on your right which indicates the Mont-Royal Chalet is .3km farther. Start hiking up those stairs.
- Take your time as this is a long flight of stairs. You are getting close to the lookout at this point. At the top of the stairs continue along the pathway a short distance to the belvedere lookout which is straight ahead.
- Enjoy the amazing views of Downtown Montreal from the Mont Royal lookout!