Perhaps more of a hike than a walk, you should wear good footwear and be prepared for an uphill climb and plenty of stairs during this Montreal walk.
The Mont Royal belvedere lookout walk begins at Peel Metro station on the Green line and takes you on a 2 kilometer (one-way) walk and climb up to the viewpoint which offers spectacular vistas of downtown Montreal. Because this walk is uphill and involves many stairs, the way up may take you up to an hour and perhaps more, depending on your stamina. We recommend you allow at least two hours for the round trip, more if you wish to explore some of the many additional trails and paths that can be found on Mont-Royal.
As you make your way up Olmsted Trail to the top, between the trees you will enjoy some glimpses of the backsides of some of the beautiful hillside mansions that are situated on the street below.
This hike is also spectacular in the winter, but you should have winter boots with a good grip and make sure you are dressed appropriately for the weather.
Also be sure to visit our Parc du Mont-Royal page for more detailed information about the the entire park.
Accommodations near Mount Royal Lookout Walk:
|Metro Line||Nearest Station||Walking Time|
|Line 1 - Green||Station Peel||9 Minutes to trailhead|
How to get to Mount Royal Lookout Walk by Metro
- Take Metro Line 1 to Peel Station; exit and walk (northwest) up Peel Street to the base of Mont-Royal.
- At the end of Peel Street look for the stairs directly across the road just to the left of the hospital entrance and start climbing them.
- Follow the path at the top of the stairs and climb the next flight of stairs with a hand rail.
- At this point you can continue straight using more flights of stairs or go right along Olmsted Trail. We recommend you go to the right and follow the switchbacks of the trail at this point as it will give you a break from stair climbing and offers the most picturesque route. Also there are plenty more stairs to deal with when you get closer to the top.
- Go right at the 'T' junction in the path and continue.
- Continue following the path until you come to a junction where there is a long multilevel staircase zig-zagging up the slope on your left and a multidirectional signpost on your right which indicates the Mont-Royal Chalet is .3km farther. Start climbing up those stairs.
- Take your time as this is a long flight of stairs. You are getting close to the lookout at this point. At the top of the stairs just continue along the pathway a short distance to the belvedere which is straight ahead.
- Enjoy the amazing views!