If you love Museums, Museum Island is an absolute must see. There is no place like this anywhere else in the world. Visit five world class museums on one island for one admission fee.
The entire site is a bit of a museum itself, being ranked as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1999. In addition to exploring the diverse exhibits you will also be taken aback by the incredible architecture.
The island which sits in the river Spree was formerly a residential area, but was dedicated to "art and science" in 1841 by Prussian King Frederick William IV.
There are a total of five museums on the island and while we will outline them briefly here, we will not go into too much detail as we have a page dedicated to each one.
The five museums are:
- The Pergamon Museum, home to the Greek alter after which it's named, features incredible exhibits from the ancient east.
- The Bode Museum was refurbished in 2005. It features sculptures from medieval times to the late 1700s and paintings from Late Byzantine to 1800.
- The Neues Museum, a beautiful addition to the island, was built in the mid 1800s. It suffered severe bomb damage during WW2 and lay in ruin until a 10 year reconstruction process that ended in 2009. It showcases archaeological items and sculptures from Egypt and Etruscan and more.
- The Alte National Gallery opened in 1876 is as its name suggests a musuem of art, more specifically paintings and sculptures from the early 19th century along with Impressionist and early modernist art.
- The Altes Museum first opened in 1830, is the oldest of the 5 museums and showcases art and sculpture from classical antiquity.
Visitors can easily spend a full day or even several days exploring all 5 museums. If you only have time to see one or two we would recommend the Pergamon Museum and the Altes Museum in that order.
Facts For Your VisitFee:Yes - Fees vary by Museum
Some attractions may have reduced hours or be closed due to COVID-19. Please verify opening hours with the attraction before visiting.
- Monday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Tuesday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Wednesday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Thursday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Friday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Saturday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
- Sunday: 12:00 am - 12:00 am
Bodestr. 1 - 3
Phone: +49 30 20905577
Vincent L. Nov-26-2019
Museum Island consists of five major museums at the moment: the Pergamon Museum, Neues (New) Museum, Altes (Old) Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National... Read More
Nicole E. Feb-13-2020
What a great island dedicated to the arts. The museums are themselves a work of art and historic landmarks for Berlin. It's a beautiful series of... Read More
Rob L. Jul-30-2019
This UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of its kind and is definitely not to be missed if you visit Berlin. Nowhere else on Earth can you find 5 World class... Read More
Accommodations near Museum Island:
How to get to Museum Island by U-Bahn, S-Bahn
Nearest U-Bahn, S-Bahn Line(s): S1, S2, S3, S5, S7, S9, S25, S26, S75, U6
Nearest U-Bahn, S-Bahn Station(s): Berlin Friedrichstraße
Exit at Friedrichstraße Station. Walk one block south on Fredrichstraße and go left (east) on Dorotheenstraße. Museum Island and the Pergamon are just 2 blocks ahead.
Click&Go Map and Route Finder with public transit, walking, driving or cycling directions. Get up-to-the-minute transit times from your location to Museum Island.